Tuesday, May 13, 2014

The Kindness of Strangers.

Last week was a rough one for me. Not only because I was sick, but also because it was the one year anniversary of losing our third baby. I was behind on deadlines, panicked when looking at my unbelievably packed calendar, and exhausted. Just flat-out drained. Over-committed. Stretched as thin as possible without crumbling all together. And feeling completely defeated.

I arrived home from my part-time gig as a preschool teacher, knowing I was walking into a giant mess of a house, a stomach-sick husband, and a workload that consistently swirls around my brain. I grabbed the mail from the mailbox on the way in, attempting not to drop it as I juggled 4 bags, a purse, and 3 coffee cups that had been left in the car from the previous morning's rituals. As I throw open the front door, I notice a package off to the side of the porch.

Hmm..

I wasn't expecting anything. I had a print order due in a few days, but definitely not from them. This actually had a hand-written label. That's something I rarely see anymore.

Still frazzled, I drop the load I was hauling in the entrance of my house. I reach out and grab the box, trying to not stumble over the pile I had just created and fall flat on my face. With a huff, I collapse in the chair closest to me, grab some scissors, and begin to open the package.

On top was a card. I resisted the urge to dig straight in and see what was under the packing material, as if I were 5 years old again. On the inside of the beautiful card was printed "Mother's Day Forecast: Sunny with a chance of hugs." The first paragraph went as follows:

Dear Megan-
     Each year for Mother's Day I select a mother I admire to honor on Mother's Day in memory of my mother, who died in 2000. This year, I selected you - for so many reasons....

 Before reading the next paragraph, I sobbed. Right there in the chair, still holding the scissors, pile of mess at my feet, with the mail I was so previously careful to not drop strewn about. I was selected. Not just selected, but admired. And honored?

After composing myself, I continued to read the beautifully hand-written card I had received from someone who is virtually a stranger. Someone who mostly knows me by my photos, my blog, and my Facebook posts. An acquaintance.

And I cried some more.

I dug to the bottom of the box and pulled out two gorgeous pieces of jewelry. One representing positive energy, and the other prosperity. The exact combination that I needed at that moment.

It would not have mattered what was at the bottom of that box. All I needed was the card. The card that let me know I am doing it the right way, despite my feelings of defeat some days. I am so thankful for the kindness of other people in the world. My heart overflows with gratitude for you, as you will never know how much I truly appreciate this gift. You have selected, admired, and honored the correct mother this year, and I will be paying this forward for years to come.

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.







"No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted." - Aesop


1 comment:

  1. Bless your heart. Shows being a good and caring soul - seeing the beauty in all - eventually does come back to you. Peace

    ReplyDelete